Some Windows 10 users complain of a problem with the installation of a particular package on their computers. Whenever they try to run the installer, the installation process stops with an error message ” This installation package could not be opened “. This problem usually occurs due to the discontinuity of the Windows Installer service on the affected computers. If you are facing the same problem, then look for these solutions first, and if the solutions don’t work much, look for the solutions.
1. Try to install the package from an administrative account on your computer.
2. Check if the package is for another version of Windows 10 (32-bit or 64-bit).
3. Temporarily disable antivirus on your computer. After disabling the antivirus, try to install the package.
4. This error is also prevalent if the installation package is on a flash drive or a network drive. Try running the installers from a local drive on your computer.
If the problem persists, look for these solutions:
Fix-1 Run the compatibility troubleshooter-
A compatibility troubleshooter will detect if there are any problems with the package’s compatibility.
1. Go to the package installer location.
2. Right-click on the installation package and then click on “ Properties ” to open the installation’s properties.
3. In the Properties window, go to the ” Compatibility ” tab.
4. Click on ” Run compatibility troubleshooter “.
Program Compatibility Troubleshooter will detect if there are any compatibility issues. If there is any, it will fix it.
Try running the package installer again on your computer.
Check if it opens or if the error continues.
Fix-2 Modify Registry Editor-
1. Pressing Windows key and the ‘ R ‘ together to open the Run window.
2. In the Running window, type ” regedit ” and then hit Enter .
The registry editor window will open.
Before proceeding to the main solution, set up a backup of your registry.
3. When you see the Registry Editor window, click on « File « in the menu bar and click on » Export “.
Save the record on your computer by clicking ” Save “.
You can recover the registry if something goes wrong.
4. In Registry Editor window, navigate to this location on the left side-
5. On the right side of the Registry Editor window, double click on the ” NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation ” key.
6. Now, set the ‘ Value data: ‘ to ‘ 0 ‘ and then click ‘ OK ‘ to save the changes.
7. In the same way, double click on ” Win31FileSystem ” to modify its value data.
8. In the Edit DWORD Value (32-bit) window, make sure ‘ Value data: ‘ is ‘ 0 ‘.
9. Finally, click ” OK ” to save the changes.
Close Registry Editor window.
Try to install the package on your computer again. You will not face the additional error.
Fix-3 Check if Windows Installer is running
window installer is a service that adds or modifies a package installer.
1. First, press ‘ Windows key + S ‘ and then type ‘ services ‘.
2. After that, click on the ” Services ” in the Services list.
The services window will open.
3. In the Services window, scroll down the list of services.
4. Then, double click on the ” Windows Installer ” Service.
5. In Windows Installer Properties window, click ” Start ” to start the service on your computer.
6. After doing all this, click « Apply ” and then click “ OK ” to save the changes.
Close Services window.
Try running the package installer again on your computer. Your problem should be fixed.
Fix-4 Reregister Windows Installer Engine with CMD-
1. To start the Running window, press Windows key + R keys together.
2. Now, type ” cmd ” And then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter .
This will open the Command Prompt Window with administrative rights.
3. To unregister and re-register the Windows installation service, copy-paste and hit Enter .
msiexec / unregister msiexec / regserverCopy
Close Command Prompt window on your computer.
Reboot your computer to save the changes.
After rebooting, try installing the package again on your computer. Your problem should be solved.