The computer is now a matter of course in the office. However, the selection is no longer that easy with the variety.
If you want to start your own business, you need a technically well-equipped office. Technology must not be neglected in the digital age. Every entrepreneur needs a few basics, no matter what industry he is in. Here is a suitable overview of the most important technical office equipment for founders and freelancers.
The classics: PC, laptop or netbook
Nowadays, entrepreneurs have the choice between PC, laptop or netbook and tablet. Every device has advantages and disadvantages for office use.
It starts with the display of special characters and ends when upgrading to a new operating system, nothing works without a digital device. Entrepreneurs have the choice between the classic fixed PC, a mobile laptop and small, handy formats such as a netbook or tablet. The following table shows the advantages and disadvantages of these devices.
As a rule, most offices nowadays have a mixture of these three devices. Laptops and / or tablets are on the go, while in the office the desktop PC is waiting at full capacity for use. Basically, the equipment of the computer depends on the respective branch of the entrepreneur. Common applications such as word processing, browsers and e-mail are among the standards, while hard disk size and memory as well as resolution are personal selection factors.
The individual: software, programs and tools
In general, software, programs and tools are among the things that every entrepreneur sets up individually in his office. However, there are also a few important basics among them that should not be missing in a large company or freelancer. These include, for example:
- An uncomplicated and high-quality accounting software that permanently saves the tax consultant’s costs.
- A quick invoice program to easily create invoices for completed orders.
- An online cloud where all important documents, photos, etc. are protected twice and are reliably protected.
- A clear organization tool, where orders, tasks or projects with deadlines and status are stored in a structured manner.
Depending on the industry and work area, the self-employed require different forms of software. However, some basics are generally interesting.
With the other software and programs, it depends on what is required for the respective industry. For example, while graphic designers or technical draughtsmen benefit from InDesign, Illustrator or Photoshop, copywriters and journalists place different demands on individual programs. Classics such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint are in demand here. In addition, the equipment with programs, tools and software depends on the operating system of the digital device. Basically, the decision is made between iOS (Apple) and Windows (Microsoft).
Communication: Internet, phone and webcam
In order to reach customers and potential clients, self-employed entrepreneurs naturally need the right communication options. The most important purchases therefore include:
- Internet: Nowadays, hardly anything works without online access. Companies need Internet access both to send emails and to use online clouds.
- Telephone: Many customers still like to contact a contractor by telephone. This way you can get a first impression and many can already assess whether the chemistry is right.
- Webcam: The opportunity to talk to a customer via webcam is becoming increasingly popular. No wonder, because projects can be implemented perfectly over a long distance. Internet connection is of course a requirement for a webcam. In addition, the self-employed often need additional equipment such as a headset and / or microphone.
Note: An important element for anyone working online these days is high quality and reliable antivirus software. At best, this should provide both a firewall and phishing protection and general PC security for the corporate data. As a rule, good software costs a little more. But here is definitely the wrong place to save. In the end, an attack on your own system is much more expensive than good protection.
Further technical purchases for the office and on the go
In addition, there are some technical devices that are also a great asset in the office or on the go.
- With a printer in the office, contracts, invoices and offers can be printed out flexibly at any time.
- Entrepreneurs can always be reached on the go for customers and queries via the work cell phone.
- A power bank provides additional battery power for business trips or long journeys by bus and / or train.
- External hard drives are a must for the office, because here all data can be saved for security reasons.
Conclusion: Technical equipment in the office depends on the branch and work area
Statistics from IfM Bonn (Institut für Mittelstandsforschung) show that self-employment in freelance professions has become increasingly popular, especially among women, in recent years. It remains to be seen whether this trend will continue or whether, as already observed in 2017, it will generally decline slightly. The existing fact is, however, that the technical office equipment depends on the branch and the field of work of the self-employed.
However, the elements listed above are the most important basics that no entrepreneur can do without in the 21st century. A lot is likely to change in the future, so that new achievements and further technical gadgets will gain more importance and attention. For many entrepreneurs, it is already important to work towards a paperless office, so that a printer might no longer be one of the basics in the future.
pixabay.com © StockSnap (CC0 Creative Commons)
pixabay.com © FirmBee (CC0 Creative Commons)
pixabay.com © geralt (CC0 Creative Commons)