A relatively new feature in Windows 10 is the blue double arrow in Windows Explorer . This blue double arrow is displayed for files and folders that have been compressed . We have compressed the “Windows FAQ” folder as an example below and so the folder symbol is shown at the top right with a blue double arrow symbol .
These two blue arrows facing each other are intended to draw the user’s attention to the fact that this folder contains compressed content . We have already explained in detail how you can compress folders or files under Windows in our article ” Compress folders and files under Windows “.
To remove these arrows and thus the compression, you do the same. Just right click on the folder that
call and then the point
call. In the “Extended Attributes” window then remove the checkmark from ” Compression and Encryption Attributes” , as you can see in the image below.
After confirming ” OK “, the selected files and folders are decompressed again. Depending on the amount of data to be decompressed, this process can take some time.
Deactivate compression by command
There is also a way to remove Windows compression from the command prompt. Simply call a command prompt with administrative rights and issue the following command.
compact / u / i
To do this, you should also be in the folder to be decompressed.
As you can see, all files and folders contained therein are then decompressed again and the blue double arrow symbol in Windows Explorer also disappears.
Should you be interested in further tips and tricks around Windows Explorer , we recommend the following articles here on Windows-FAQ.de.
– iPhone is not displayed in Windows Explorer
– Parameters of Windows Explorer “explorer.exe”
– Hide drive letters in Windows Explorer
– Auto-complete on or off in Windows Explorer
– Download folder opens very slowly in Windows Explorer
– CD / DVD burning function from Windows Remove
– Show file size information in the Windows Explorer folder tips – Thumbs.DB – Deactivate the caching of the image thumbnails in Windows Explorer
– Open files and folders in Windows Explorer with just one click
– Show complete folder name in the header of Windows Explorer
– Windows Explorer – Recently used files and frequently used folders
– Show or show file extensions for known file types in Windows Explorer
– Yellow exclamation mark in the drive symbol in Windows 10 Explorer
– Open every Windows folder in a new Windows Explorer window
– OneDrive from Wind Remove ows 10 Explorer