Veritas has released Feature Pack 5 (FP5) for Backup Exec 15 . This relatively large feature update includes additional support for new platforms, critical updates and technical innovations for Backup Exec 15.
The following must be observed with this FP5:
Support for private cloud storage devices:
As of this FP5, Backup Exec supports backing up to private cloud-based storage devices . Configure the private cloud storage server on your network, create a cloud instance, and configure a cloud storage device for the private cloud storage server in Backup Exec. The cloud storage device then serves as the target device for (double) backup jobs.
Instant recovery of a VMware virtual machine
Backup Exec supports instant restore of virtual machines with Feature Pack 5 . You can restore the virtual machine (VM) immediately without waiting for the data to be transferred from a backup set. The vCenter or ESX / ESXi host can then be accessed.
Instantly restore a Hyper-V virtual machine
In addition to VMWare, Backup Exec also supports instant recovery of Hyper-V virtual machines . You can restore the virtual machine immediately without waiting for the data to be transferred from the backup. The Hyper-V host can then be accessed directly.
Support for other platforms
– SQL 2016
– SQL 2014 SP2
– Exchange 2016 CU2
– Exchange 2013 CU13
– SharePoint CUs 2013, 2010
– SharePoint 2913 with SQL 2016
Renamed options for delayed and quick cataloging
In the Options dialog box for the backup job , the Delayed Cataloging in the left pane has been changed to Instant GRT. The Delayed Cataloging Options dialog box has been changed to Instant GRT and Full Cataloging Options.
Furthermore, the option ” Do not perform delayed cataloging ” has been changed to “Activate quick cataloging as part of the backup job in Instant GRT”.
You can download and install the update directly via the Live Update function within Backup Exec 15. Further information can also be found directly on the FP5 release notes .
Further contributions to other feature updates and generally to Backup Exec can be found below:
– Backup Exec 2015 Feature Pack 3 (FP3)
– Backup Exec 16 from Veritas available
– Symantec (Veritas) Backup Exec 2015 Feature Pack 2 (FP2)
– Hyper- V .AVHD problem with Backup Exec 15 FP3
– Backup Exec – Create SDR disk – Part 1
– Copy backup job at Symantec (Veritas) Copy Backup Exec
– Symantec (Veritas) Backup Exec Error V-79-57344-33932
– Symantec (Veritas) Backup Exec error message (FIXEDB2DDevice, memory could not be deleted)
– Deduplication Option Error with Symantec Backup Exec 2014 Upgrade
– Backup Exec 2012 Snaphot Error 0xe0008526 (V-79-57344-34086)
– Symantec Backup Exec error message 0xe0008488 – Access denied
– The BackupExec Management Service could not be started – .NET Framework Update error