You are watching TV when the screen suddenly goes black. Vizio TVs seem to display the black screen of death for no apparent reason, but the good news is that there are quite a few solutions to solve the problem. Here are some ways to fix Vizio TV black screen of death.
Cause of Vizio TV black screen
There are several root causes for a television screen to suddenly turn off, but the most common cause is a failure of one of the power supply boards. A television may have one or more power boards in addition to a T-Con board and various other internal components.
Although these pieces may seem complicated, they are actually relatively easy to fix. Before you rush to buy the necessary parts, you need to find out what the problem is.
There are different problems that can affect your television. You must narrow down the problem before attempting any repairs. Start with a sound check.
Perform a sound check
- Turn on the tv.
- Listen to the sound. If you don’t hear anything, try streaming something that you know will make noise.
- Make sure the volume is turned up.
Use the “Flashlight Test”
If you have sound but no picture, the component that produces the lighting for the television is probably the problem. You can further narrow your search by using the “flashlight” test. You have to literally shed some light on the subject.
- Find a bright flashlight and make sure it’s on.
- Stand about two inches from your TV screen and shine the light on the TV.
- If you can see an image on the screen with the use of a flashlight, it means that the TV’s inverter board has failed.
Check connections and power
Many times, the best solution is simple. Before you panic, make sure everything is working properly and there are no loose connections. Next, do a hard reset of the TV:
- Turn off the TV and unplug it.
- Press and hold the TV’s power button for 30 seconds.
- Release the power button and plug the TV back in.
- If you are trying to test the image from a device such as a cable box, change it to a different device. If this fails, try accessing the TV’s settings menu.
How to Fix Vizio TV Black Screen of Death
If you have tried all of these methods and have an idea of what the problem might be, here are some ways to fix it.
Replace the power board
Replacing the power card can be tricky; both the method you use and the model number of the card will vary from TV to TV. However, it is still a solution that anyone can do at home with a minimum of experience.
You will need to:
- A soft cloth or towel to protect the TV screen.
- A Philips head screwdriver. The size will vary depending on the size of your TV.
- A container in which all the extracted screws are placed.
- Place the TV face down on a prepared surface.
- Remove all the rear screws with the screwdriver.
- Find all the fuses on the television. Most have five.
- If any of the fuses have blown, replace them. A blown fuse can often be the source of the problem, rather than the board itself.
- Locate the cables that connect to the power board and remove them.
- Remove the screws holding the power board and remove the old board.
- Put the new board in place, then carefully screw it down.
- Reconnect all cables.
- Replace the back cover of the TV and secure it.
- Plug in the TV and see if the repair worked.
Replacement of other components
If the inverter board or other critical component has died, it will need to be replaced in a similar manner to the power board. However, if you are not confident in your ability to repair the TV without causing further damage, hire a repair technician to handle it. If your Vizio television is still covered under warranty, contact Vizio Technical Support.