With the update KB4058258 , Microsoft surprisingly provided another stability update for Windows 10 version version 1709 Fall Creators Update tonight. The update is supposed to fix some important bugs and above all contribute to the stability of the Windows 10 system. After installing the update KB4058258 the build number will increase to 16299.214 .
The following changes have been incorporated in the update KB4058258 :
- The update fixes a compatibility issue where colors are distorted when the system connects to displays that support a wide range of colors .
- Addresses issue for users using a 2nd monitor connected to older AMD graphics cards that flashes after waking from hibernation.
- Addresses an issue that causes delays when switching keyboard languages with Alt + Shift.
- The update eliminates compatibility issues when rendering certain subtitles or subtitle formats during video playback.
- Addresses an issue in which the Microsoft Edge Allow Extension Group Policy did not work for the disabled state.
- The update provides additional protection for 32-bit (x86) versions of Windows 10, version 1709.
- Resolves the issue reported by some customers on a small subset of older AMD processors where the processor was no longer bootable after installing January 3, 2018-KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192).
The following errors are known to occur when installing this update.
- Windows Update History reports that KB4054517 could not be installed due to error 0x80070643.
Although the update was successfully installed, Windows Update incorrectly reports that the update could not be installed. To check the installation, select Check for updates to confirm that no additional updates are available.
You can also type About your PC in the search box on the taskbar to confirm that your device is using the expected OS build.
- Due to a problem affecting some versions of antivirus software, this fix only applies to computers on which the antivirus has updated the ALLOW-REGKEY.
Contact your virus protection manufacturer to check whether your software is compatible and that you have set the following REGKEY on the computer:
Key = “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” subkey = “SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion QualityCompat”
value name = “Cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc”
type = “REG_DWORD”
data = “0x00000000”
- After installing this update, some users may experience problems logging in to some websites when using third-party credentials in Microsoft Edge.
Microsoft is working on a solution and will provide an update in an upcoming version.
The update KB4058258 is now available via Windows Update Catalog to download. The corresponding download links can be found here below.
– 2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x86-based Systems (KB4058258)
– 2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4058258)
– 2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 Systems ( KB4058258)